General requirements for all graduate programs at MSOE include the following (also see specific program requirements):
- Completion of a baccalaureate degree in a discipline appropriate for the graduate program to which the applicant seeks admission (see "Program-specific Requirements" section).
- An academic record that indicates potential achievement in graduate studies. The expected minimum cumulative grade point average (GPA) achieved at the institution from which the applicant earned a baccalaureate degree is 2.8 or 3.0 depending on the program of application (on a 4.0 scale). If an applicant's undergraduate GPA is less than 2.8 or 3.0, that applicant is required to submit either Graduate Record Exam (GRE) or Graduate Management Admission Test (GMAT) results (as specified for the particular program to which the applicant seeks admission). The scores on each GRE/GMAT test section deemed essential for that program need to place the applicant in the upper 50 percent of those tested. Individual programs may establish more stringent GPA or GRE/GMAT performance requirements.
- Two letters of recommendation or three letters of recommendation for the Perfusion and Medical Informatics programs. Online recommendation forms are available.
- Complete the free, online application.
- Official transcripts sent directly from all colleges and/or universities previously attended. All of the transcripts and the official translated information should be sent to MSOE.
- For applicants whose native language is not English, language
proficiency must be demonstrated by one of the following methods:
a. Submit an official transcript indicating receipt of an undergraduate
or graduate degree from a U.S. college/university or other institution
where the language of instruction is English. Please enclose a grading
scale if available.
b. Submit an official test score from the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) with a score of 79 Internet based or higher or a 92 Internet based or higher if applying to the Master's in Medical Informatics program. To sign up for the TOEFL, please go to www.toefl.org.
c. Submit an official IELTS exam with a score of 6.5 or higher. IELTS is managed by the University of Cambridge ESOL Examinations, British Council, and the IDP: IELTS Australia. To sign up for the IELTS examination, please go to www.ielts.org.
- International student applicants who will require immigration documents issued by MSOE must submit a certified bank statement or notarized MSOE Financial Certificate, detailing the availability of finances for the first year of study (including tuition and living expenses). If transferring from another institution that has issued immigration documents, an MSOE International Transfer Form also must be submitted. If your native language is not English, a score of 79 or better must be achieved on the Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL). There are additional filing requirements for international students.
- Master of Science in Cardiovascular Studies (MSCS)
- Master of Science in Construction and Business Management (MSCBM)
- Master of Science in Engineering (MSE)
- Master of Science in Engineering Management (MSEM)
- Master of Science in Export Management (MSXM)
- Master of Science in Medical Informatics (MSMI)
- Master of Science in New Product Management (MSNP)
- Master of Science in Perfusion (MSP)
- Master of Science in Structural Engineering (MSST)
A maximum of 9 credits of approved graduate work taken at another institution may be transferred with the consent of the respective MSOE graduate program director. Such courses will be accepted only if taken for graduate credit and if equivalent to a graduate course in the selected program of study at MSOE. Grades of "B" or better are needed in graduate courses considered for transfer.
How Your Application is Processed
- As soon as your completed application and application fee are received by MSOE, you will be notified by email as to what documents are needed before your file can be evaluated.
- Upon receipt of all transcripts and documents, an initial evaluation of application materials will be completed.
- Upon acceptance, you will receive an acceptance letter and a list of any prerequisites or other special conditions that must be met.
- Graduate students who are United States citizens may be allowed to register on a temporary basis if all application materials are not received prior to registration dates. For details, please call (800) 321-6763.